Sweet baked apple slices lie on perfectly golden puff pastry. 30 minutes of preparation and 20 minutes in the oven mean you get all the sweetness of an apple pie without any of the hassle.Click here to skip to recipe
Sometimes you just want a hot, tasty, flaky dessert without all the trouble of mixing and chilling and cleaning up multiple bowls. Enter these apple pastries, which use pre-made puff pastry dough as the base, and a quick apple and brown sugar mixture as the topping. You only need one mixing bowl and a few simple ingredients to whip up these delicious pastries. Best enjoyed hot out of the oven, they remind me of beautifully fragrant apple tarts I used to love as a kid.
These pastries are easy peasy and are perfect for beginner bakers. Simply mix together thinly sliced apples with lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Slice you puff pastry into rectangles, top with your apple slices, and brush the edges with egg wash. Then bake for 20 minutes until they’re puffed up and ready for munching.
Some helpful tips
- To make things easier and quicker, use pre-made puff pastry. Sometimes I make rough puff pastry ahead of time and freeze it, but in all honesty, the store-bought stuff is amazingly flaky and perfect to use.
- If using store-bought pastry, make sure to thaw it ahead of use. Gently flatten it to smooth out the creases.
- Cut the apples thinly to make sure that they cook properly in the oven.
The easiest apple pastries
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 baking sheet
- Parchment paper or aluminum foil
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, about 15" x 10"
- 3 medium apples, thinly sliced
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk or water
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil
- In medium mixing bowl, mix together thinly sliced apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Cut puff pastry into 8 equal rectangles. If needed, roll out each rectangle so it is a little wider than the apple slices. Layer apple slices on top of each puff pastry rectangle and place on baking sheet. Drizzle a spoonful of any leftover juice from the apple and sugar mixture onto the apple slices.
- Beat together egg and water or milk to make egg wash. Brush edges of puff pastry with egg wash and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown. Remove and let cool.