Enhance your go-to banana bread with thick swirls of rich mocha. The chocolatey coffee flavor is irresistible when paired with the comforting taste of traditional banana bread.Click here to jump to recipe
Yes, I’m back with another banana bread recipe. My local grocery store was selling 15 bananas for 99 cents (!!!), and there was no chance I’d come home without 15 bananas in tow. And of course, there was also no chance that all of those bananas would be eaten before rotting.
But I had just made my classic banana bread recipe, and I wanted to try something new and different. And what do I always love to eat banana bread with? A steaming hot cup of coffee. So I had an inkling that mocha banana bread would be just perfect.
Some helpful tips
- The strength of your mocha powder will differ depending on the brand you use, so I would add slowly and taste the batter (just a little, don’t eat raw batter) to flavor to taste.
- Make sure to dissolve the mocha powder in hot water, and then whisk with a fork to make sure it’s cool before adding to the batter. Use as little water as possible to dissolve the mocha so that you don’t add unnecessary moisture.
- Adding the mocha extends bake time a bit, so make sure to test that the inside is baked
Mocha swirl banana bread
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 small or medium mixing bowl
- 1 hand / stand mixer (optional, a fork will suffice too, but the bread will not be as fluffy)
- 1 spatula
- 1 loaf 9'' loaf tin
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, room temperature
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
- 1 tbsp milk (optional)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 – 2 tbsp mocha powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease loaf tin
- In a small bowl, peel and mash bananas together well with fork. Mix in cinnamon and milk and set aside
- In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, using hand mixer or fork. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each one. Mix in vanilla
- Add banana and cinnamon mixture to the butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla mixture and combine well
- Sift together your flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a separate medium bowl, and mix to combine
- Add your dry ingredients to your wet mixture, and combine evenly
- Combine mocha powder with a small amount of hot water and stir until dissolved, mixing in additional water as needed. Whisk with a fork until the mixture is cooled.
- Separate half the banana bread batter into another bowl. Fold in mocha until well combined.
- Fill the loaf tin, alternating tablespoon-sized scoops of regular batter and mocha batter to create a checkboard pattern. Continue layering in batter until all batter is gone. Run a butter knife through the batter to swirl together.
- Place in oven and bake for 65 – 70 minutes. Remove from oven when a toothpick comes out clean and allow to cool before slicing.