Juicy, sweetened tomatoes blend seamlessly with fluffy scrambled eggs to create a colorful and flavorful Chinese tomato and egg stir fry. This healthy and satisfying dish brings out the tang of fresh tomatoes with just a dash of sugar.Click here to jump to recipe
Working a full day and cooking for yourself is hard work, but working a full day and cooking for an entire family is superhero level work. Tomato and egg stir fry will always hold a place in my heart as my dad’s superhero recipe. It’s a traditional Chinese dish that he would pull together quickly after a long day at the office, and I would gobble it down with big spoonfuls of fluffy white rice. I would love to pick out the tasty bits of eggs, and you’ll see this penchant reflected in the generous helping of eggs in my recipe.
Now that I’m older, working crazy hours, and trying to feed myself a balanced diet, this stir fry dish is my savior recipe.
What makes this dish so amazing?
- It’s crazy cheap (eggs… the most affordable protein of them all)
- It takes less than 15 minutes to prep and cook and it’s easy to double the recipe
- It’s fairly nutritionally balanced.
- It’s vegetarian-friendly to appeal to a wide variety of diets
Most importantly, every single bite tastes like home. To me, this is the one true Chinese comfort food and one of the first dishes I learned how to cook. The key is to cook the tomatoes until the juice flows out – this will create the tangy and flavorful sauce for the eggs.
I highly recommend that you prepare this stir fry along side a cup of rice for the perfect well-rounded meal. I also matched this with my Colorful Tofu and Vegetable Stir Fry to create a complete meal for two.
Other Chinese-inspired dinners:
If you make this recipe, let me know! You can comment below or tag me on Instagram @halicopteraway. What kind of foods do you guys like to make that remind you of home?
Tomato and egg stir fry
- 1 frying pan or wok
- 1 medium tomato
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2-3 tbsp water
- Salt to taste
- Chopped green onions for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the ingredients. Slice tomato into 8-10 slices, depending on the size. Beat the eggs and flavor with salt.
- Pour 1 tbsp of vegetable oil into a frying pan and heat over medium-high heat until the pan is hot. Scramble the eggs on medium-high heat and remove from stove just as the eggs begin to set. They should still be a little runny.
- Pour remaining 1 tbsp of vegetable oil into the pan (you can use the same one that you cooked the eggs in) and heat over medium-high heat until the pan is hot. Place tomato slices into pan and cook on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Salt tomatoes to taste and add sugar and water. Continue stir frying tomatoes on high until they soften and juice seeps into the pan. If the juice is not releasing, lightly press on the tomato slices. This should take another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the soft scrambled eggs and mix vigorously with the tomatoes, using the edge of your spatula to cut the eggs into smaller pieces. Mix for 1 minute until eggs are coated in the sauce.
- Remove from pan and garnish with chopped green onions. Enjoy hot with a bowl of fresh rice.