This easy ice cream is made with a smooth, no churn chocolate ice cream base with a decadent twist. Each scoop is studded with rich chunks of dark chocolate cake and marbled with sweet strawberry jam.Click here to jump to recipe
You’re on a dinner date. The conversation os good; the food is even better. At this point, the night could go either way and it all hinges on one decision: do you order the chocolate cake or the chocolate ice cream for dessert?
I’m here to show you a universe where there is no right or wrong choice, there is only chocolate cake ice cream, because why not combine two iconic desserts in one?
This easy no churn ice cream recipe takes a 4-ingredient no churn chocolate ice cream base and takes it to the next level with chunks of chocolate cake and swirls of strawberry jam. If you’ve ever had Salt and Straw’s strawberry tres leches ice cream, you’ll know exactly why I was so excited to throw a slice of cake into ice cream. The combination is absolutely fabulous and it couldn’t be easier to pull together.
What goes into no churn ice cream?
Homemade no churn ice cream has the best taste to effort ratio. All you need is 4 ingredients and a hand or stand mixer to make a generous amount of rich and creamy ice cream.
Heavy whipping cream – Beating heavy whipping cream until it’s fluffy is what makes your ice cream airy and creamy. Be careful not to over-beat the cream, or else it will curdle.
Sweetened condensed milk – Sweetened condensed milk adds richness and of course, sweetness. This recipe calls for only half a can to keep the ice cream from becoming too sweet.
Vanilla extract – A teaspoon of vanilla extract provides flavor and melds nicely with the overall chocolate profile.
Cocoa powder – A quarter cup of cocoa powder adds rich chocolatey flavor. I like to use Hershey’s Special Dark, but any cocoa powder should work.
What makes this ice cream extra special is the chunks of chocolate cake and the strawberry jam.
Chocolate cake – I use leftover homemade chocolate cake chopped into 1 inch cubes. Feel free to use store-bought cake because all cake is equally delicious.
Strawberry jam – I use store-bought strawberry jam and it works perfectly. Feel free to use other flavors of jam, such as raspberry or marmalade. I imagine this ice cream would go well with a range of fruity flavors.
Other chocolate dessert recipes you’ll love:
- Super chunky chocolate chip cookies
- Chocolate & pistachio shortbread sandwich cookies
- Chocolate cinnamon brioche bread
If you make this recipe, let me know! You can comment below or tag me on Instagram @halicopteraway or #halicopteraway.
No churn chocolate cake ice cream
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 small bowl
- Stand or hand mixer
- Baking tin or glass container at least 1.5L in capacity
- 7 oz (198g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder
- 1 pint (470g) heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate cake cubes, about 1 in. wide
- 4-5 tbsp strawberry jam
- In a small bowl, combine the condensed milk and cocoa powder. Stir until evenly mixed. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract. Use a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and beat on low speed for about 1 minute. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until stiff peaks form. Keep an eye on the mixture while beating and be careful not to over-mix.
- Add the condensed milk and cocoa powder mixture to the whipped cream. Use a spatula to fold in the mixture until evenly combined. Be gentle to avoid knocking air out of the whipped cream. Add the chocolate cake chunks and fold until evenly distributed.
- Cover the bottom of a baking tin or glass container with 1/3 of the ice cream mixture. Drop 1 tsp-sized dollops of strawberry jam across the surface of the ice cream. Swirl the dollops using a butter knife. Repeat 2 more times with the remaining of the ice cream.
- Cover the container and freeze for at least 6 hours and ideally overnight.
- To serve, remove from fridge and let thaw for a few minutes before scooping.